1. 由Office of Admissions統一受理一切入學申請函件，包括大學部與研究生院；
2. 由Office of the Registrar 受理，權限同1；
3. 由Office of Student Service受理，權限同1；
4. 由Office of Foreign Student Advisor 受理國外學生入學申請函件；
5. 由Office of Foreign Admissions 或Office of International Scholars 受理國外學生入學申請函件；
6. 由Graduate School, Graduate College 或Office of Graduate Studies 受理研究生院的入學申請函件；而Office of Admissions 受理本科部的申請；
7. 由各所屬分院（如College of Eng.) 分別受理入學申請信件，也有很多學校先由Office of Admissions 接受申請，供給所需表格，然后一切通信改由各分院負責，大的學校大多采用這種方式，因為他們每年受理的申請函件高達上萬件。
有的申請人對所報學校可能不夠了解。這樣，如果申請讀本科，就應寫信給Office of Admissions; 如果申請讀研究生，就應寫信給Office of Graduate Admissions. 這種寫法的信件肯定能到達承辦人的手中，稱呼的方法可采用下列二種方式之一：
Office of Admissions
(2) Office of Admissions
Department of Chemical Engineering
I wish to pursue a doctoral degree in Chemical Engineering at your institution. My desired date of entrance is Fall, 1994. Please send me necessary application forms at your early convenience.
If possible, I also wish to obtain a graduate assistantship so that I may support myself and obtain more practical experience while pursuing graduate study.
I obtained my B. E. (Chemical Engineering) in 1989 and M. S. (Chemical Engineering) in 1992 from Tsinghua University. At present. At present, I work as a teacher at the same University.
Would you please send me the application forms for admission and financial support Thank you very much.
Department of Architecture Engineering
I would be most grateful if you would send me details of post graduate study facilities or scholarships in civil engineering which Columbia University may be offering to student from overseas. I majored in architecture and graduated from Tsinghua University in 1989. I have studied English for more than 6 years up to intermediate level. If any scholarships are available, I would appreciate it if you would send me the necessary application forms.
Department of Mathematics
P. R. China
I am going to graduate from Department of Mathematics in Peking University in June next year. I am very eager to enter the Graduate School of your University next fall to study applied mathematics for Ph. D. degree.
I would appreciate it very much if you would send me a graduate catalog of your university and any other necessary information, and also a set of application forms for admission.
Thank you for your kind assistance.